The important role of the dental hygienist
Gum disease is the main reason for loss of teeth and we take the treatment of gum disease very seriously. There is now increasing evidence linking gum disease with heart disease and strokes.
our dental hygienists have three main roles
- Removing calculus (tartar) from teeth – this is done by a technique called scaling and polishing.
- Treating gum disease, also known as ‘gingivitis’ or ‘periodontal disease’. This is caused by plaque which is a sticky film of bacteria. If left untreated your gums will start to swell and bleed and will ultimately result in tooth loss. Tooth loss is not through age – it is because of gum disease.
- Teaching patients good oral hygiene techniques – individually tailored to specific needs.
gum disease is preventable: tips for a healthy mouth
- Use a toothbrush with a small head
- Use a toothbrush with medium textured nylon bristles
- Use a small amount of fluoride toothpaste
- Thoroughly brush for three minutes at least twice a day
- Remember to concentrate on the area where teeth meet gums
- Use dental tape of floss to clean between your teeth
- If necessary, use disclosing tablets to help identify areas of the mouth which need more attention
- Watch the number of sugary snacks and drinks you have between meals
APPLY TO BECOME A NEW PATIENT
Please fill in your details to apply for our exclusive membership.
Please note that we do currently have a waiting list for new members wishing to join us, however, we will endeavour to respond to your enquiry as soon as possible.